Who We Are
Our Saviour’s history begins in the early summer of 1955. The United Lutheran Church in America sent Manfred Holck, a seminary student, to Tyler to conduct a mission survey. With positive results from his work, he began services for a group of Lutherans at Temple Beth El on July 3, 1955. By the end of August that year, this group petitioned the United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA) to establish a mission congregation here. Approval was granted and services were moved to the local VFW Hall.
In December, a pastor was called to service and Our Saviour’s was chartered with 28 members on December 4, 1955!
On Palm Sunday, 1959, the congregation’s first church was dedicated on Loop 323, behind First Christian Church. By 1984, the church had outgrown the site and moved to its current location on Kinsey Drive. It was dedicated, with much celebration, on September 30, 1984.
In the Fall of 2003, the Rev. Dr. Mark Braaten was installed as the Senior Pastor. Under his dedicated leadership Our Saviour's has continued to grow in many ways.
Over the years Our Saviour’s has added an educational wing and offers a variety of worship services along with a strong education and music program.
In 2010, Our Saviour's joined the North American Lutheran Church.
The church’s dedication to community is also evident through its social ministry. Members participate in or support many community programs, including but not limited to People Attempting to Help (PATH), Komen Walk for the Cure, KAIROS Prison Ministry, Meals on Wheels, Bethesda Health Clinic, Azleway Boys Ranch and Lutheran World Relief.